Department Description of Commerce
Department of Commerce & Business Administration
The department of Commerce & Business Administration is the largest in the college offering B.Com. & BBA programs at Under-Graduation (UG) Level and M.Com. & MBA at Post-Graduation (PG) Level.
B.Com (General) program was started in the year 1975. Subsequently B.Com (Tax Procedures and Practice) (1994-95), B.Com (Honors)(Accounting & Finance) (2014-15), B.Com (Computer Applications) (2015-16) and B.Com (Honors)(Tax Procedures and Practice) (2017-18) programs were started. The MBA Program was started in the academic year 1986-87 with multiple specializations and M.Com. program was started in 1987-88 with two specializations. BBA program was started in the year 1991-92. BBA (Business Analytics) was started in 2017-18.
The student strength of the department is 1174. Both PG and UG programmes are running under ‘Autonomous Stream’ which gives us flexibility to schedule and design our activities to match best in the sector. The curriculum and course structure are revised regularly and presently following ‘Choice Based Credit System’ in all the programs of the department.
The department was led by eminent personalities in the field of academics such as Prof.S.Vijaya Raju, Chairman, APSCHE, Prof G.Anjaneya Swamy, Director, School of Management, Pondicherry University, Prof.P.Subrahmanyam, Former Dean of Commerce, Osmania Universiy, Prof.K.Hanumantha Rao, Former Dean of Commerce, Acharya Nagarjuna University, Prof.B.Ramesh, Head and Dean of Commerce Faculty, Goa University.
Presently, the department is having a faculty strength of 24 of which 8 members are possessing Doctoral Degree. The average experience of the teaching staff is above 15 years. The faculty members have authored Fifteen books with ISBN in various subjects of Commerce and Business Administration published by leading publishers such as Pragathi Prakashan, Himalaya Publications, Duvvuri Publications and Vikram Publishers.
Industry- Academia Association:
Commerce and Business Administration subjects’ need external orientation and thorough understanding about the changes happening in Business, Government and the Society. In order to fortify Industry-Academia association the department is maintaining close relation with institutions such as CII, APNRT, APSSDC, AP Innovation Society, FICCI, AP Chamber of Commerce, AP Productivity Council, Vijayawada Chamber of Commerce, etc. The department is the Permanent Institutional Member in AIMS, Association of Indian Management Schools (AIMS/LF/AP/SZ/2146), and National HRD Network (PINST/VJW/0001/2005).
Entered an MOU with National Stock Exchange to offer ‘NCCMP’ Course to students, upon successful completion of the course they will become NSE Certified Capital Market Professionals. We entered into MOU with Aadhya Analytics for providing better industry exposure to students and to undergo internships on live projects. Also, we are having collaboration with Tally Academy Pvt Ltd to offer training in Computerised Accounting Packages to our students.
Thrust on Research:
The department is recognized as Research Centre by Krishna University, Machilipatnam, our affiliating institution and several Research Scholars are successfully pursuing their MPhil and PhD degrees under the research guidance of our faculty. So far Eleven MPhil and Six PhD degrees were awarded to the research scholars under the guidance of Prof.Rajesh C.Jampala.
Research Projects: (Funded by UGC, ICSSR)Completed:
- Short duration project sponsored by ICSSR titled ‘Empowerment of Youth Through Skill Development in CRDA – Amaravathi, Capital Region Development Area, Andhra Pradesh’ (ICSSR- No. 274/ICSSR-SRC/2016; Financial Assistance - Rs.30,000/- Dr.Rajesh C.Jampala – Professor - Principal Investigator).
- Minor Research Project sponsored by UGC titled ‘A Study on Impact of Mid-Day Meals Programme on Educational Attainment in Krishna District, Andhra Pradesh’ (MRP-4661/14 (SERO/UGC); Financial Assistance – Rs.2,45,000; Dr.Rajesh C.Jampala – Professor - Principal Investigator).
- Minor Research Project sponsored by UGC titled ‘The Issues & Challenges of in Tenant Farming – An Empirical Study with Special Reference to Krishna District’ (UGC MRP – 6487/16 (SERO/ UGC); Financial Assistance – Rs.1,50,000/-; Dr.J.Durga Prasad – Senior Assistant Professor - Principal Investigator).
To provide platform for students of various colleges to compete and test their competencies the department is organizing State Level Inter Collegiate Commerce and Management Meets every year by name of ‘Kurukshetra’, ‘Magnova’, ‘Explora’, ‘Incendo’ and ‘Convergence’. These meets are creating lot of Buzz among the stakeholders and getting the attention of Industry, Commerce, Trade and Media bodies. The participants are benefited with Improved Knowledge, Creative Thinking, Decision Making, Analytical, Event Management and Leadership Skills.
The distinctive feature of the department is that MBA students should be certified by any of the leading institutions such as NPTEL, Open to Study, Allianz, edX, Coursera offering Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCs) and the National Stock Exchange (NCFM) to complete at least two of their non-core courses. This will help them to get certifications from external institutions and put them in self learning mode. As even after their study they must learn on continuous basis to be relevant to the changing context from time to time.
Siddhartha Management Club:
The students started ‘Siddhartha Management Club’ to conduct Curricular and Co-curricular activities to ensure that they themselves acquire skills such as Analytical Thinking, Leadership Qualities, and Life Skills by organizing Group Discussions, Business Quizzes, Market Makers, Mock AGMs, Role Plays, Stock Market Simulation Games, Young Managers etc.
Many former students occupied leading positions in their chosen fields and are contributing to their respective organizations. They are working in Bajaj Capital, Tech Mahindra, Indus Ind Bank, Factset, Motilal Oswal, Progneur Technologies, IBM, ICICI, Shri Ram Chits, HDFC, LIC, BNY Melon, Tata Business Support Services Ltd, Pioneer Mahindra, Capgemini, Dell, SBI, Accenture, Polaris, Indian Railways, APSRTC, etc; some of them joined in Government Service. Large chunk of students joined their family businesses and are taking them to the next level with professional approach such as Rama Corporation, Prakash Arts, Kanaka Durga Leasing & Finance, Apollo Publishers, Harsh Toyota, Garapati Garage, Hotel Illapuram, etc., Notably among them is Smt.Vijayeswari Cherukuri, Managing Director, Usha Kiron Movies, Ramoji Film City, Dolphin Hotels Ltd. Some of them ventured into business field and started firms like Strom Consultancy, Staffing Pro, Dunken Donuts Franchisee (USA), Teja Advertising, etc., There are also a large number of them settled abroad including USA, Australia, Singapore, Ethiopia and Dubai.
Training & Placement services are done through the T&P Cell being organized by the faculty and student co-ordinators as its members. The earlier recruiters include Capital IQ, HCL Technologies Ltd, Spandana Spoorthi, Karur Vysya Bank, HDFC Securities, Reliance ADA, ICICI Prulife, Genpact, HDFC, Keeline Industries, Cholamandalam DBS, Lupin Laboratories, etc.,
Beyond Class Room - Student Social Responsibility
To promote sense of service among students the department conducts many activities under the banner Honour2Care. They regularly visit orphanage homes and spend time with inmates. They also contribute and raise resources to share with the needy. Many student and faculty members donate blood regularly. They participate in campaigns such as Swatch Bharat, End Polio, Clean & Green, Organ Donation and several awareness campaigns to promote social good.
As a part of Knowledge Sharing the department has been organizing Seminars, Workshops, Entrepreneurship Awareness Camps, Youth-led Development Programmes, Management Development Programmes, Faculty Development Programmes on various contemporary themes in association with nationally reputed bodies such as AICTE, National HRD Network, UGC, ICSSR, MSME-DI, RGNIYD, National Institute for MSME and CSI over the years by inviting resource persons from Industry, Academia and Civil Society Organizations. The following list will shed light on the range and relevance of themes that were chosen over a span of two decades:
- UGC sponsored Two Day National Seminar on “Innovation Management – A Strategic imperative for growth’ during 22 – 23 August, 2017.
- ICSSR sponsored Two Day National Seminar on “The Fourth Industrial Revolution – Impact on Business, Government and Society” during 27 – 28 January, 2017.
- Three Day “Entrepreneurship Awareness Camp” sponsored by DST – NIMAT Project Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India during 25 – 27 October 2016.
- National Seminar on “Empowerment of Youth – Preparing for Future” under Youth-led Development Programme (YDP), Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, Government of India during 19-20 March, 2015.
- ICSSR sponsored Three Day National Seminar on “New Paradigms and Perspectives for Business Excellence” during 31st January – 2nd February, 2014.
- National Seminar on “Talent Management in Knowledge Economy” on 23rd March, 2013.
- AICTE sponsored Two Week Staff Development Programme on “Emerging Trends in Business Models” during 26 June – 9 July, 2012.
- Management Development Programme on Advertising & Media Management was organised in association with Ministry of Small Medium Enterprises during 13-17 March, 2012.
- UCG sponsored Two Day National Seminar on “Emergent Business Models and Strategies” during 9 -10 March, 2012.
- National Seminar on “Trends in Human Capital Management - The Emerging Talent Management Imperative” on 8th January 2011 sponsored by NHRD Network, Vijayawada Chapter.
- National Seminar on “Managing Inclusive Growth in India – A Look into the Socio Economic Perspectives” on 13th March 2010 sponsored by ICSSR, New Delhi.
- Seminar on “Creative HRM – For Corporate Excellence” on 4th November, 2009 in association with National HRD Network.
- Management Development Programme on Advertising & Media Management was organised in association with Ministry of Small Medium Enterprises (MSME) during 12-16 October 2009.
- Seminar on “Marketing Communications – AN Integrated Approach” was organized on 18th October 2008.
- Management Development Programme on Communication Skills was organised in association with Ministry of Small Medium Enterprises during 22-26 July 2008.
- Seminar on “Retailing in India: Strategies, Trends and opportunities” on 9th October, 2007.
- Seminar on “Business Intelligence Imperative for Success or Organizations” during January 23-23, 2007.
- Seminar on “Innovation Management in Indian Organization” on 23rd October, 2006.
- Seminar on “Knowledge Process Outsourcing (KPO): Opportunities & Challenges for India” on 17th February, 2006.
- Seminar on “Investment Climate in India: Changing Scenario” on 29th October, 2005.
- Seminar on “Change Management in Indian Organization” on 23rd October, 2005.
- Workshop on “Unleashing Personal Power for Self Actualized Career” on 10th February, 2005.
- Seminar on “HR Strategies in Global Economy” on 6th October, 2004.
- Seminar on “Emergence of Service Economy: An Indian Perspective” on 23rd January, 2003.
- Seminar on “Building Competitive Advantage in Indian Industry” on 12th December, 2001.
- Seminar on “Customer Relationship Management” on 28th November, 2000.
- Workshop on “Corporate Vision 2020” on 10th December, 1998.
- Workshop on “Leadership in 21st Century” on 21st February, 1998.
- Workshop on “Service Organization in Competitive Environment” on 19th October 1995.
Connect to us at:
Faculty In Commerce Department
|1||Prof.Rajesh C.Jampala||MBA, DCA, MPhil, MFT, PhD||Professor
& Head - Departments of Commerce & Business Administration
Dean (Administration & Academics)
|Financial Markets||Teaching:29 Research:20|
|3||K. Narayana Rao|
|5||Ch. Prasanna Kumar|
|8||M. Siva Ranjani|
|9||S. Kanaka Durga|
|10||K. Sri Lakshmi|
|11||A.N.V. Durga Anupama|
|Title Name||Event Image||Content|