Parvathaneni Brahmayya Siddhartha College of Arts & Science is the first offspring of "Siddhartha Academy of General & Technical Education". In the year 1975, the college was started with 200 students and 15 faculty members with B.A. and B.Com. programmes. From this modest beginning, the college has emerged as one of the premiere institutions of higher learning in the State, with strength of 2618 students and 108 faculty members for the year 2017-18. The college is offering B.A., B.Com., B.Com.(Hons.) Accounting & Finance, B.Com. (Hons.) Tax Procedures & Practice, B.Com. (Computer Applications), B.B.A., B.B.A., (Business Analytics), B.C.A. and B.Sc. programmes with Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Electronics, Statistics and Chemistry. B.Sc. (Hons.) Computer Science and Diploma in Yoga Education (DYEd). PG programmes are M.A.(English), M.Com., M.B.A., M.C.A., M.Sc. programmes with Mathematics, Chemistry, Computer Science and Physics. The programme B.Sc.(Computer Applications, Mathematics & Electronics) is introduced in the academic year 2018-’19. The college has well furnished classrooms, well equipped laboratories, fully fledged Botany & Zoology museums, resourceful library and reading room, English Language laboratories, a very big Indoor Stadium, 28-station multi-gym, e-class rooms, media point, webinar hall, skill centre, boardroom and a large play field. It has a good tradition of academic discipline and, above all, the full coordination of philanthropic group of members of the Management. The college has been enjoying full academic autonomy since the academic year 1988-89. It has experienced and competent faculty. The academic programmes are continually updated. Keeping its tradition of up-gradation of programmes according to the changing needs, the college introduced 'Choice Based Credit System' from the academic year 2005-'06.
Ours is the first college in the jurisdiction of Acharya Nagarjuna University to get accreditation at 'A' level by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bengaluru. The jurisdiction of the college was shifted to Krishna University, Machilipatnam from the academic year 2009-‘10. The University Grants Commission (UGC) has conferred the status of “College with Potential for Excellence (CPE)” on our college. NAAC reaccredited our college at the level ‘A’ with 3.23 points on 4 point scale. The college works for a minimum of 90 instructional days in each semester.
Though Vijayawada grew as one of the major cities in Andhra Pradesh with accelerated trade, commerce, industry and political enlightenment, there were very few educational institutions of repute four decades ago. Hence the idea of establishing a premiere educational complex had been incubating in the minds of the philanthropic elite of Vijayawada for a long time which materialized into concrete reality in 1975 through the synergy of 250 educated and visionary people drawn from different noble professions to establish the “Academy of General and Technical Education.”
In the year 1975, away from the ceaseless bustle of the trading yards, the criss-cross of trains through this junction to every part of the country and the majestic gush of the Krishna waters through the spillways of the Prakasam barrage, some best minds were in unison for a noble cause in Vijayawada. Each of them represented a zenith of achievement in the galaxies as diverse as medicine, engineering, accounting, jurisprudence, industry and business. They were all the sons of the soil. Each of them experienced the travails and hardships of travelling great distances and to strange lands in pursuit of their education. With their native intelligence and commitment proven the emergent property in both the physical and educational realms. They not only interacted but also integrated to provide new dimensions to the cause, phenomenal increase in the number of institutions, while looking for holistic education. They were in conclave to make beginning for providing the educational awareness to meet the needs of the region. Vijayawada, devoid of a single post-graduate or professional institution at that time, became the hub of educational needs of the state of Andhra Pradesh. It is but for the Academy, the transformation of Vijayawada from an Intellectual Sahara to a vibrant education centre like the Nalanda. That was the background of birth of the ‘Academy of General and Technical Education', which was rechristened later as 'Siddhartha Academy of General & Technical Education', The Academy all these years is striving hard to outreach the youth to get their education that not only makes them qualified for the job, but also enables to equip themselves to struggle for life, brings out a strength of character, a spirit of philosophy and the courage of a lion- i.e. wholesome development of a human. They believe the education is the one by which character is formed, strength of mind is increased, the intellect is expanded and by which one can stand on one's feet, which is the spirit of Swamy Vivekananda. Human making, life building and character assimilation ideas are imparted in all the institutions under their surveillance. Since its inception it has been making heroic attempts to promote quality educational institutions with excellent infrastructure to serve the cause of education as a veritable university. The Academy employs 1,200 dedicated teachers in various faculty positions and has a massive enrolment of 21050 students in the institutions sponsored by it.
Siddhartha College, later renamed as Parvathaneni Brahmayya Siddhartha College of Arts & Science, is the first institution to have been started by the Academy in 1975, with 200 students and 15 faculty members. The UGC and Acharya Nagarjuna University, the Parent University in the jurisdiction of which the college operated granted 'autonomy' to undergraduate courses in the year 1988. From this modest beginning, the college has emerged as one of the premiere institutions of higher learning in the State, with a present strength of 2,798 students and 114 faculty members. The UGC has recognized our college with potential abilities to attain high standards in teaching, research and extension activities leading to excellence. This facilitates the college to design, develop and deliver chosen academic programmes. Students trained in this college will be outstanding in their abilities – curricular, extracurricular activities and ethical values. The holistic education imparted in this institution enhances the academic abilities along with character making every student perfect. In its long journey of more than forty years, a number of restructured, vocational and post-graduate courses were started and thousands of students graduated in Arts, Sciences, Commerce and Management. It always believed – knowing one's self is the greatest skill in the path to perfection. Excellence by itself does not mean perfection. It is only a cause in the perfection. Following this tenet, it is thought that introspection is a necessity and hence the college went for the re-accreditation by the NAAC, since the journey for perfection should go on farther and forever.
The college believes in the axiom 'Enter to learn, leave to serve, and live as Siddharthian'. Our college is the centre of soft skills, study skills, memory skills, career clues and media matters.
COLLEGE DISTINCTIONS AT A GLANCE
- The First Autonomous College in the jurisdiction of Acharya Nagarjuna University in 1988
- First college accredited at the level 'A' by NAAC, Bangalore in the jurisdiction of Acharya Nagarjuna University in 2004
- Recognized as “College with Potential for Excellence (CPE)-Phase-I” by UGC, New Delhi
- Reaccredited at the level ’A' by the NAAC in second cycle
- Recognized as “Centre of Excellence” by Government of Andhra Pradesh
- College affiliation was shifted to Krishna University, Machilipatnam in the academic year 2009
- Krishna University accredited “Research Centre” status to the Departments of Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Commerce and Business Administration of our college
The vision of P.B. Siddhartha College of Arts and Science is to impart holistic, realistic and futuristic education by which character is formed, strength of mind is increased, the intellect is expanded and by which one can stand on one’s own feet. We envision our educational journey guided by questions, research, reflections and discovery individually, collectively, and continually strive to transform, improve learning outcomes and advance educational achievement.
Our mission is to teach, to serve, and to engage in scholarship. We teach our students to be critical thinkers and lifelong learners. We prepare professionals who improve student learning, promote diversity, make informed decisions, engage in collaborative endeavors, maintain professional and ethical standards, and become change agents in their workplaces. We engage in scholarly work that informs the profession and we serve the educational community by providing applied scholarship.
In the spirit of our vision and mission we remain committed to understand and solve the important social problems. We always try our best to appropriate our vision and mission with a commitment to excellence, ethical action, and inclusiveness for which the four interdependent core values we absorb to determine our mission.
- Ensuring fair and equal access for all
- Recognizing, appreciating, and celebrating the strength of diversity
- Providing educational experiences that promote a greater appreciation for diversity
- Implementing learning activities that integrate diversified topics in the classroom
- Believing that our similarities and differences are opportunities for establishing a common bond and strengthening the College
- Seeking and considering multiple points of view
- Employing a College workforce that reflects the community we serve
- Committed to ethical and responsible behaviour in our own actions and to developing the same commitment in our students, thus fostering individuals who will have the skills, knowledge, and ability to engage positively with a diverse and changing world. Our commitment extends to all levels of our campus to foster a climate of ethical conduct, respect, responsibility and trust
- Strongly believing in honesty, courage and trustworthiness
- Creating a community with characteristics of climate of respect and thoughtfulness among students, faculty, staff and the people of society
- Committed to be responsible and accountable in operations at all levels of the institution, including continuous assessment of academic programs and transparency in fiscal and operational proceedings
- Continually seeking to earn the public’s trust in all of our actions and words
The college assumes and demonstrates responsibility for our actions by
- Taking responsibility for personal and professional growth and development
- Continuously evaluating and improve the systems and policies
- Establishing and communicate clearly defined and articulated goals and objectives
- Ensuring that each action adds value to the College and society
- Demonstrating fiscal and social responsibility
The college is always
- Valuing and respecting all the stake holders and their valuable opinions, perceptions and impressions. Students, faculty, and staff–as well as the people connected through value added and extension programmes
- Believing in processes of shared decision making based on productive synergistic interactions among our students, faculty, staff and stakeholders in the pursuit of institutional goals
- Dedicate to promoting outreach activities, community education, and partnerships with surrounding entities
- Believing in collaborating with the organizations and constituents with whom we work
- Promoting a safe, healthy and sustainable environment where our community members can flourish personally and socially as whole
- Believing in sharing our academic and cultural resources and expertise with the public, educational institutions, businesses houses, cultural centres, and public and non-profit agencies, when appropriate
- Working to enable students to integrate into the larger world to promote a commitment to public service through experiential education. Faculty and staff serve the state and local constituents by sharing their energy, talents, and experience
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES of the Institution
- To develop academic excellence of the students by sensitizing human values, ethical values, social values, creativity, and enhance overall personality
- To prepare students to meet the challenges of living through their academics by following ‘the ways and means embedded with values’
- To prepare the students to lead productive, responsible and creative lives by applying the acquired knowledge, for the benefit of the society as a whole
- Stand at all Stakeholders as Siddharthians wedded to the slogan “Enter to learn, leave to serve and live as Siddharthians”
- To respond to the educational needs of the region by starting the relevant graduate, post-graduate programmes in arts, science and commerce
- To respond to the skill sets needed in this region by starting certificate courses / short term training programmes and diverse programmes
- To transmit and share knowledge by implementing right teaching pedagogy
- To develop critical abilities among the students in the process of learning
- To promote high levels of diverse achievements of the students by providing appropriate co-curricular and extra-curricular support
- To enhance extensive services to the neighbourhood society
- To involve the industry and alumni from all walks of life in the College
To create best ecosystem for higher learning in the campus the management of the college is encouraging faculty members to attend workshops, national and international conferences/seminars, FDP’s which help them to update their knowledge and achieve excellence in teaching as well as research. The Management not only encourages students to achieve academic excellence but also facilitates their overall development. Value added programs such as ‘employability enhancement program’, quantitative aptitude and soft skills training are offered to the students. Sports and other extracurricular activities are supported by leadership.